*This posts contains affiliate links that I make a small commission off of. All affiliate items are items this Hotmess mom approves of.*
Let’s be real, motherhood ain’t no walk in the park. It’s brutal, emotionally and physically draining. It’s scary, intense, and frankly, the hardest damn job we will ever have. We sacrifice so much to be a mother. We sacrifice our bodies, our mornings, nights, and days. We sacrifice our sleep, our social lives, our family. We even sacrifice the ability to pee in peace. We cry often from a combination of sleep deprivation and an abundance of hormones sweeping over us. Sometimes, if we are honest with ourselves, we even wonder if we are good enough.
We feel like we are failing at this mom business. Well, I’m here to tell you that you are not failing. Your aren’t perfect, that’s for sure. You have made plenty of mistakes, and you will make plenty more, but that’s what makes you an amazing mom. Your kids don’t need a perfect mom. They need a mom that makes mistakes, that cries and yells. They need a mom that doesn’t have it put together all the time. They need a mom that is there in the moment and not trying to be this unrealistic, perfect, person. Newsflash, perfect moms don’t exist. The reality is, we are all a hotmess. We all make mistakes, and that’s ok. So the next time you feel like you are losing it, just let it all go and keep this in mind….you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who have locked themselves in their rooms while they scream into a pillow….you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who have dropped the F bomb on numerous occasions, you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who pour themselves a glass of wine at night, you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who have dishes piling up in the sink, you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who have piles of laundry, dust bunnies, and toothpaste stained counters, you ARE a good mom.
- To the mom who is exhasted and feeds her kids rice Krispy treats for dinner, you ARE a good mom.
- To the mom at 2 am bawling her eyes out because she can’t get the baby to sleep, you ARE a good mom.
- To the mom who’s child just received a diagnosis of Autism, OCD, ADHD, or anything else, you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who give in and give the kids tablets or phones just so they can have some alone time on the couch, you ARE a good mom.
- To the moms who have lost it in the heat of the moment, and screamed at her child, you ARE a good mom.
- To the mom sitting on the floor holding her child who is hitting, kicking, biting and screaming at her, you ARE a good mom.
- To all the moms who love their children something fierce, you ARE a good mom.
So you see, we are all a mess. There isn’t a perfect mom, just get that out of your head. When we popped those big headed beautiful babies out of our hoo-has, we didn’t pop a manual out to go with them. Motherhood is something we just kinda experiment with and learn from. Even us veterans have no idea what we are doing half the time.
I have never wanted to be like the Hollywood moms you see who have these pristine houses and well groomed kids who were never late to anything. They never wore the same spit up stained shirt two days on a row, never cried themselves to sleep from just pure stress. Instead, I wanted to be like my mom. My mom did not have it together all the time. She showed her frustration at times. She danced around with us and left the laundry and dishes go. She created real and raw memories that I have till this day. She showed me how important it is to be yourself, imperfections and all. That’s the kind of mother our kids need. Not some fake, put-together person. A person who loses it from time to time. A person who is always there for them, and who loves them fiercely.
So today when you feel like you are nothing but a failure. When you feel like you just can’t take it anymore, pick up and hold those babies, and whisper to yourself that you ARE a good mom. You are a beautiful hotmess of a mom, and you are damn good at it.