*This post contains affiliate links that I make a small commission off of. Any purchase is not necessary, but greatly appropriated, and goes towards my Hotmess blog, and towards my coffee addiction. All items are pre-approved by yours truly, and help make the Hotmess life run a little smoother.*
It’s Monday. Time to get up, get the kids and family ready for the new week. Time to put on our happy faces, pour some coffee, change some diapers, make some snacks, start the endless tasks that we, as mothers, do. What if we just don’t want to, though? Do you ever find yourself just not feeling like your typical self? I’m not talking about depression, I’m talking about that feeling that lies somewhere between happiness and depression. I’m talking about the ‘Mommy Funk.’
Lately I’ve been in a mommy funk. It happens every couple months when the duties of motherhood just become overwhelming. When I’ve changed one too many diapers, made one too many snacks, and have heard the whining word “moooom” one too many times. During these funk periods, the last thing I really want to do is pick up the house, wipe a little face, or be constantly touched by the little hands I created. Yea that’s right, when I have a case of the mommy funk, I don’t want to be touched by my kids, I don’t want to answer them or make them 10,000 snacks. I just want to be left alone.
Is it ok to feel this way? You bet your ass it is. It’s hard not to get into a funk when everything you do day in and day out is the same thing. When you are needed by so many people. When you can barely catch a break, let alone get a ‘thank you.’ That’s when the mommy funk begins to set in. You don’t really know it’s there until you wake up and BAM, you have a case of the mommy funk. How do you know if you have the mommy funk? Well here are some common symptoms.
Mommy Funk Symptoms
- You don’t feel like yourself; not happy, nor depressed.
- You just don’t want to be touched by your children…or husband.
- You may get aggravated easily.
- You have zero motivation to do anything.
- You loosen the leash a bit on parenting, and let the kids get away with more things.
- Five star meals…forget it, it’s a pb&j night.
- Bed times may come sooner than normal.
- A few more f-bombs might be said.
- You’ve been wearing the same spit-up stained shirt a few days in a row.
- You don’t want to go out of the house.
- You really just want to lay on the couch and binge watch some poorly rated Netflix original show.
- Mostly you just really want to be left alone!!!!!!!!!
I know there a bunch of mommies sipping their coffee and nodding in agreement. If this is you, you probably have the mommy funk. So what is th difference in a mommy funk and depression? Well if you have the mommy funk, we still tend to put the messy bun up, and do what we want to do. We may sulk and snap, but we get the job done. Depression can often times take over our lives and it tends to be constant. The mommy funk will go away after we are just left alone and given ourselves some time. So, mamas, how do we perk ourselves up and out of this mommy funk?
How to snap out of the funk
- Wake up a little earlier than normal, pour that coffee, and allow yourself some time to wake up and not be touched.
- Throw on some music or your favorite podcast, and sip slowly on that morning coffee.
- Do a workout, yoga, boxing, anything to get your body moving.
- Leave the house with out kids, and just go somewhere. Drive to some music knowing your husband is at home with four screaming kids, getting a little taste of your life.
- Call up a friend and just vent.
- Buy yourself something. It doesn’t have to be expensive, it can be as simple as a new lipstick.
- Put on a little makeup, and put something on that you know you rock. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t going anywhere, just make yourself look like more than a mother.
- Drink that glass of wine at the end of the day, and just take a deep sigh.
- Pep talk yourself. As stupid as it sounds, it always makes me feel like a rock star, if I just tell myself how awesome I really am.
- Sing, dance, get silly to your favorite song.
- Just give yourself a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are waking up this Monday and you just aren’t feeling yourself, you don’t want to be touched by your kids and you just want to be left alone, then you have the mommy funk. It’s ok, though, it will pass. In the meantime just cut yourself some slack, and give yourself some time away from the kids and mom life. You’ve got this! You’re a rockstar, badass, amazing mom, who just needs a little space and time to recharge. We do a lot as mom, and often times it goes unnoticed or unappreciated. Now we know how our moms felt.
Just hang in there, mama! Pour that coffee, give yourself a pep talk, and have yourself an awesome Hotmess Monday.
If you liked what you read, follow me on FB and subscribe to It’s a Hotmess Life for more Hotmess news.
Hotmess Items to make keep around for this mommy funk days.