*This post contains affiliate links that make a small portion from. Any purchase is appreciated and helps to fuel my coffee intake to keep up with 4 crazy kids.*
Alrighty mamas, is anyone else stumped at how to get your kids to eat anything other than Mac n cheese and chicken nuggets?? I have four kids, one only eats boob milk so he’s still good. One will pretty much only eat toast, or noodles, maybe a few fruits thrown in there somewhere. One is obsessed with toast and spicy food, and then there is the two year old who eats dog food. Any suggestion of those dreadful veggies, and they think I’ve lost my mind. So I’ve had to get a little creative in my attempt to poison them with healthy nutrition.
During my low carb days, I mastered a dish known as cauliflower mash. Now hold on, don’t be making gag noises just yet, hear me out. I was a little leery at first, but seriously these are flavorful in every bite. The true test, though, was if the kids will notice. One night for dinner I made the typical kid friendly dish, but this time I added some white creamy substance to their plates. They immediately froze and started pitching a fit; “eww I don’t want that….mooooom!” So, I lied and told them it’s mashed potatoes; it looks similarly so it was easy to fool them. I mean, who doesn’t love a good hot bowl of mashed potatoes? You can’t go wrong. I put the plates on the counter and go to grab mine and my husband’s, and before I can sit down I’m hearing the dreadful, “moooom.” Ugh, what did they spill now? Nope! There were no spills, instead there were two empty plates and one plate that had less mash on it than what I put on it. Yea, that’s right they had finished the cauliflower mash, and were asking for more!!!!!!!
What weird twilight zone had I stepped into. Since that day, everytime I make cauliflower mash, I’m able to fool them into eating it, and they love it. This time around my lovely assistant was even excited before hand.
This is a huge mom-win in my books, so I am happy to share with you some kid approved (by extremely picky eaters) cauliflower mash!
Here is what you’ll need!
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 3-4oz of low fat cream cheese
- roughly 1/4 cup of parmasean cheese
- Heavy whipping cream or milk
- pepper for taste
- food processor is ideal
- 2 separate microwaveable bowls
- a lovely assistant
- some catchy tunes so you and your assistant can dance on the down side (“what does the fox say” is big in the house right now)
Lets make some cauliflower mash
- Separate the cauliflower florets from the heads and place them in a strainer, and give them a little rinse.
- Chop up the garlic, place into a microwave bowl along with the butter, and melt the butter.
- Place the cauliflower into a microwave-safe bowl, pour melted butter and garlic over, and stir around.
- Microwave uncovered for 6 minutes.
- Stir cauliflower, and microwave again, this time covered for around 9 minutes; you want the cauliflower for tender.
- This would be a great time to dance around with your lovely assistant.
- Now it’s time to process everything together.
- In batches, pour the cauliflower, butter and garlic from the bowl into a food processor.
- Divide up the cream cheese and parmasean cheese, and add it to each bath in the food processor.
- Pour the milk or whipping cream a little at a time till each batch is the creamy “mashed potatoes” consistency.
- Pour the done batches into a separate container and add some pepper.
- Once all batches are done and creamy, mix together and serve warm.
Seriously, this recipe is that good that you’ll have spoon lickers lining up for a taste.
Enjoy it with some adult chicken and asparagus, or some chicken nuggets, and you’ll feel better about your mom skills for feeding them something with actual nutritional value. If you don’t believe me, then pour that wine, turn on the music and try it for yourself. Don’t forget to let me know how it went, and be sure to follow Its a Hotmess Life for more mom wine and dine recipes!
The best items to help in this Hotmess recipe
. . .