Alright, I to will jump on the “year in a review” or “resolution” bandwagon posts.
These first few days after the start of a new year, are always the ones where everyone is contemplating their lives. They are judging who they were last year, what they completed or did, and who/what they want to be in this new year. I mean who doesn’t want to better themselves or their life? We all have something we can work on and if you’re a hotmess, then you have a lot to work on; or maybe you are truly happy with your life and that is something to be proud of.
I, for one, am starting this new year off genuinely happy with my life and the life that we have created. Sure, I have negative things about life such as debt, hectic schedules, parenting stress, but find me a person who doesn’t have at least one of those things.
However, I’ve finally reached that stage in life where the positive aspects far outweigh the negative ones. I’m also at that age where the benefits of choosing what make me and my family happy is not only healthy, but easier to do.
So what did my hotmess 2018 look like?
Well, here are just a few key moments that made this past year a crazy, sometimes stressfull, sometimes overwhelming, amazing, happy year it was.
- We welcomed our fourth bundle of joy at the end of April. Baby Goose has brought us so much love, sleepless nights/days and has completed our family in the most perfect way. As you can imagine though, life with four kids is no walk in the park; unless you are referring to Jurassic Park.
- Around the same time as our newest addition, we officially got our two year-old tested and diagnosed with “level 1” Autism. This was our second diagnosis of autism, and it was a little blow, but we have overcome it. Now we are on a therapy routine for both kiddos, and taking each day at a time.
- In the fall it was time to return to school for this mama, and let me tell you, I was not anticipating it being as hard as it was. I’ve been in school for a while now and found that I am great at juggling everything, but adding that fourth kid and therapy sessions was just too much for me. Somehow, I managed to make it out alive and even made the Dean’s list again.
- My beautiful second born started preschool, leaving me two in and two out of the house. It was hard seeing her walk through those doors that first day. She has been by my side since day 1. Now we are halfway through the year and I’m counting the days till winter break is over.
- Through all that craziness, through all the meltdowns, the chaotic schedule, lack of family, everything thrown at us, my husband and I have managed to become closer and more unified than we have ever been. The closest family we have is 1000 miles away, so all we have is each other. Let me tell you how madly in love I am with this man. We are so strong and a real team. We have been together for a decade and 2018 was our best year yet.
So as you can imagine, life was nothing less than fun this past year.
Hotmess is the perfect description of us and I LOVE it. I’d like to say that things have calmed down a little; we’ve gotten into a groove so to speak, and I am beyond ready to take on the new year.
I did say this was also a resolution post though and even a proud hotmess mama has things she want to improve on for this year.
- I have lived much of my life trying to please everyone. Not anymore. I’m so done with it. So this year, I want to focus on ME and MY hotmess family. What does this mean? It means saying NO. It means less phone calls that I will be making to people who seem to forget that a phone/Facebook can both make and receive messages. It means I am being selfish this year and I will not feel bad about it. This is OUR year to be a family and not worry about anyone else.
- Be more frugal/live minimally. I am a huge thrift shopper, but I tend to hold on to things. Time to get rid of anything and everything that doesn’t truly bring me joy. I’m talking about closet, dresser, bookshelf, toys etc. If we haven’t touched it more than 5 times this past year, then it’s gone. We are gonna live with what we have and live a more frugal lifestyle.
- Be present more. Its a goal of my to be more present with both my kids and my husband. I’m going to be turning off the xbox, taking tablets and phones away at predetermined times of the day and we are going to be present with one another. I’ll probably catch some hell from my Minecraft, Fortnite loving kids (and my husband who adores Halo), but don’t really care.
- Blogging more. This is right up there with number 1 and the year about ME. I enjoy doing this, I enjoy being able to get it all out there, to be as real as I can to own my life. I love being able to reach other mamas like myself and get their heads nodding in agreement, or giving them a little laugh. So, I’m going to make more time for mama to continue writing and promoting this Hotmess blog.
- Physical Fitness…Is it really a resolution without physical fitness listed somewhere? Here’s the thing though, this body has birthed four big-headed, beautiful babies in a rather short time frame. These boobs have been nursing for 7 years, with little breaks in between. My stomach is flabby with extra skin to love, my boobs sag and in general I have more jiggle than I would like to admit. That being said, part of physical fitness is learning to love who you are. I will never have a supermodel fit body; it’s just not in the cards, and I love pizza and wine too much. What I can do is continue the journey to be the best and healthiest me–curves and all. I’ll do more in our at-home gym (something we thrift-shopped and bought used on FB), more yoga and more walking. I’m not going to go on some crazy diet and I’m not going to keep track. I’m going to do moderation, exercise and love this body.
There you have it, my top 5 ways I plan to make 2019 an amazing year. Of course I can add organization, cleaning, school and other typical resolutions, but for us that’s just daily living. These are the top 5 things I want to really work on this year.
So, grab yourself a cup of coffee, pull on those compression yoga pants and tie that messy bun to join me in what will be an Amazing, Hotmess year.
I promise to entertain you with real mommy moments that make you want to pull your hair out, laugh, and cry all at the same time.